NEW YORK — Ryan McMahon gets Grade 2 thumb diagnosis; His injury proved more serious than the Yankees initially hoped.
The third baseman hurt his left thumb Wednesday in Baltimore while trying to stretch an RBI single into a double. He remained in the game, but swelling increased and his grip worsened as the night went on.
Initial X-rays were negative. Additional imaging later showed a Grade 2 sprain, and the Yankees placed McMahon on the 10-day injured list Friday, retroactive to Aug. 20. He aws replaced with Max Schuemann.
McMahon said the diagnosis was disappointing but still better than the possibility of surgery or a longer absence.
“Not great news. Could have been worse,” McMahon said.
He also said the current expectation is that surgery will not be necessary.
“Obviously I’m not happy with it, but thankful that most likely no surgery and just the minimal time.”
McMahon is eligible to return Aug. 30 if his recovery follows the minimum timetable. The Yankees can use Jose Caballero, Amed Rosario and Schuemann at third base while he is out.
Cody Bellinger could return Sunday
The Yankees could get Cody Bellinger back as soon as Sunday.
Bellinger may be activated for Sunday’s series finale against the Blue Jays after completing the latest step of his rehab assignment with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
The outfielder played six innings in left field Friday and went 1-for-3 without a reported setback. He had served as the designated hitter in his first rehab game Thursday and also went 1-for-3.
Bellinger has been out since July 26 with a Grade 2 strain of his left hamstring. He suffered the injury while running out a double against the Phillies on July 25.
Before going on the injured list, Bellinger was batting .259 with 11 home runs, 53 RBIs and a .770 OPS in 102 games. His return would give the Yankees another left-handed bat and restore one of their most experienced outfield defenders.
If Bellinger is activated Sunday, utility infielder Max Schuemann is one candidate to be optioned after being recalled when McMahon went on the injured list.
Max Fried set for another throwing test
Max Fried is scheduled to throw a side session Saturday as he works back from a left elbow bone bruise, the same injury that sidelined him for more than two months earlier this season.
The Yankees placed Fried on the 15-day injured list retroactive to Aug. 14. He has continued throwing rather than shutting down, and the club has said the latest recurrence is less severe than the original injury.
Manager Aaron Boone said the Yankees chose to put Fried on the injured list before the issue became more significant.
“We just kind of collectively decided it’s probably best to make sure we get this calmed down and hopefully keep it a smaller issue,” the Yankees manager said.
Fried could progress to live batting practice after the side session if the elbow responds well. The Yankees ace would be eligible to return Aug. 29 if he misses only the minimum 15 days.
The left-hander is 4-4 with a 2.81 ERA in 15 starts. Since returning from his first injured-list stint on July 22, he has allowed five earned runs in 24 2/3 innings, a 1.82 ERA.
What do you think? Leave your comment below.


















