NEW YORK — For one young arm in the Yankees’ system, opportunity has a way of arriving through someone else’s misfortune.
All season, the door to the Bronx has stayed shut for a pitcher who kept doing everything asked of him in the minor leagues. He posted numbers that would force his way into most rotations. He got the occasional call, stumbled in brief looks and went back down. The depth ahead of him never cracked enough to let him stay.
That logjam was the point. The Yankees built their rotation to be deep, and depth by design means someone talented waits in Triple-A. For months, the waiting has fallen on him.
Then Saturday happened. In a 4-3 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays at Yankee Stadium, left-hander Ryan Weathers walked off the mound in the fourth inning with left forearm discomfort. The Yankees sent him for imaging and, as of their latest update, had not announced results.
The injury may quietly change the trajectory of a Yankees rookie blocked by depth.
Weathers’ exit changes the Yankees’ pecking order
The opening appeared in the fourth inning Saturday when Weathers left after his 72nd pitch with left forearm discomfort. The Yankees sent him for imaging and had not announced the results as of Sunday morning.
Weathers allowed two runs on eight hits over 3 1/3 innings, struck out three and walked none. He took the loss and is 5-8 with a 3.60 ERA in 25 starts. He has established career highs with 137 1/3 innings and 143 strikeouts.
The timing is costly because Weathers had become one of the Yankees’ steadiest starters. He entered Saturday 2-0 with a 1.94 ERA over his previous seven starts. Fried is also on the 15-day injured list with a left elbow bone bruise after throwing a 26-pitch bullpen session Saturday.
Yankees statement leaves the next move unresolved
The Yankees did not offer a diagnosis Saturday. “Ryan Weathers left the game with left forearm discomfort and will undergo imaging today,” they said.
That leaves Aaron Boone and the Yankees waiting on a medical answer before deciding whether they need a short patch or a longer replacement. Forearm discomfort alone does not establish severity, and no injured-list move had been announced through Sunday morning.
Manager Aaron Boone addressed the injury after the game, careful not to guess at a diagnosis before the imaging came back.
“We’ll see,” Boone said. “You don’t love (it) when a pitcher leaves the game, obviously. So we’ll see what we have.”
The uncertainty also reverses a rotation decision that had been approaching. With Carlos Rodon back and Fried nearing return, the Yankees had been headed toward a point where Weathers or Warren could shift to the bullpen. Now they may need another starter instead.
Rookie is blocked by depth, not roster rules
If Weathers misses a turn or lands on the injured list, Rodríguez becomes one of the most direct rotation options. Ryan Yarbrough could provide a spot start, but Elmer Rodriguez is already stretched out and pitching every fifth day.
The rookie’s case is stronger than his major league line alone suggests. MLB Pipeline ranks him as the Yankees’ No. 3 prospect. Across 19 starts for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Rodriguez has a 2.59 ERA with 99 strikeouts in 97 1/3 innings. He has only gotten sharper as the summer has worn on. He carried a 2.73 ERA through five July starts, then trimmed it to 1.69 across three outings in August.
His recent work has sharpened the case. Rodríguez threw seven scoreless innings with seven strikeouts against Lehigh Valley on Aug. 13, then allowed one run over five innings with five strikeouts against Charlotte on Aug. 18. Based on his official season totals and pre-All-Star-break line, he owns a 2.03 Triple-A ERA over 31 innings in six starts since the break.
The rookie has struggled more in the majors, going 0-2 with a 4.76 ERA, 10 strikeouts and 11 walks in 17 innings. Still, he has logged 114 1/3 innings between Triple-A and MLB this season, so the Yankees would not need to build him up before using him as a starter.
There is no transaction barrier, either. The Yankees selected Rodríguez to the 40-man roster last November. He was last optioned July 20, well beyond the 15-day minimum for pitchers before a normal recall. MLB rules also waive that minimum when an optioned player replaces someone placed on the injured list.
A late-season audition could carry October stakes
The Yankees have 33 regular-season games remaining entering Sunday, enough time for a temporary replacement to become more if performance and health create an opening.
Rodríguez could cover starts while Fried works back, protect the bullpen with length or force his way into consideration as a multi-inning option. September roster expansion to 28 players gives the Yankees an extra spot, although postseason rosters return to 26.
Clarke Schmidt is working toward a possible September return in relief after Tommy John surgery. Luis Gil was activated by Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre from the minor league injured list on Aug. 18. Those arms could deepen the staff later, but neither resolves an immediate opening if Weathers is unavailable.
For now, the Yankees’ next move depends on the imaging. Rodríguez remains in Triple-A, Weathers’ status is unresolved and a rotation that looked overcrowded only days ago may have created the opening the rookie has been waiting for.
What do you think? Leave your comment below.

















