Insider Drops Bold Ben Rice Take As Yankees Slugger Catches Fire
  • Login
  • es Español
  • en English
Pinstripes Nation
  • Home
  • Team
    • Roster Updates
    • Prospects
    • History
  • News
    • Trades
    • Rumors
    • Off The Field
  • About
  • Contact us
No Result
View All Result
Pinstripes Nation
  • Home
  • Team
    • Roster Updates
    • Prospects
    • History
  • News
    • Trades
    • Rumors
    • Off The Field
  • About
  • Contact us
No Result
View All Result
Pinstripes Nation
No Result
View All Result
Home News Ben Rice

Insider makes stunning Ben Rice claim amid Yankees slugger’s breakout

Esteban Quiñones by Esteban Quiñones
May 3, 2026
in Ben Rice, Juan Soto, News
Reading Time: 5 mins read
0 0
A A
0
A Yankees fan wears a no. 22 jersey that previously belonged to Juan Soto but now allotted to Ben Rice. New York. Apr 5, 2026.

ChrisKirschner@X

0
SHARES
936
VIEWS
TwitterRedditFacebookEmail

NEW YORK — Ben Rice was a 12th-round draft pick out of Dartmouth. Two years ago, he hit .171 in his rookie season and got sent back to the minors. Nobody outside the Yankees’ front office was writing his name alongside the best hitters in baseball.

Now one of the most respected voices in the sport just did exactly that.

ESPN’s Jeff Passan went on Sportsnet 590 The FAN this past week and made a claim about Rice that would have sounded absurd six months ago. It involves Juan Soto, $60 million a year, and a Yankees first baseman earning the league minimum.

Rice’s numbers are hard to ignore

Ben Rice rounds bases after 3-run homer in the Yankees' 7-2 win over the Orioles in New York, May 1, 2026.

Before getting to what Passan said, consider what Rice has done to earn the praise. Through 32 games, the Yankees first baseman is batting .330 with 11 home runs and 26 RBIs. His OPS of 1.169 leads all qualified hitters in baseball. Not in the American League. In all of Major League Baseball.

The 27-year-old ranks fourth in the majors in home runs and fifth in RBIs. Against left-handed pitching, a perceived weakness early in the season, Rice is hitting .367 with five homers. The Yankees had been sitting him against southpaws at times. That experiment is over.

Manager Aaron Boone addressed Rice’s surge before the Yankees’ series against Baltimore, framing it as a natural step in a progression that began during his 2024 debut.

“I just think we’re continuing to see the evolution of one of the game’s really outstanding hitters, simple as that,” Boone said. “He’s really disciplined, and he’s got a good plan night in and night out for who he’s facing and what he wants to look for, and he does a good job of controlling the zone.”

Boone then offered the description that has been circulating among Yankees fans all week.

“This is kind of that trajectory he’s been on since he first debuted. He’s just gotten better and better to the point of now he’s kind of been a wrecking ball.”

Passan’s bold Rice and Soto comparison

That wrecking ball reputation caught the attention of Passan, who was asked during his radio appearance whether Rice’s start is sustainable. The question carried weight because the Yankees let Juan Soto walk in free agency last winter. Soto signed a 15-year, $765 million deal with the New York Mets. The Yankees chose to spread their money elsewhere and bank on internal options.

Passan did not hedge. He declared Rice’s breakout legitimate and then took it a step further, arguing that the Yankees are getting more value from Rice on a minimum salary than they would from paying Soto $60 million a year.

“100 percent very real,” Passan said. “I say that as confidently as I do because the underlying data just supports it. Let’s not mistake that this came out of nowhere. The guy slugged .500 over a full season last year. He was really good last year. Is he this good? No, of course not. But is he an All-Star? Yes. Is he going to be doing this for years to come? Yes. Is he a guy who, at the minimum salary you might rather have in the lineup, instead of paying Juan Soto $60 million a year, you sure can make a decent argument about that.”

"At the minimum salary, you might rather have [Ben Rice] in the lineup instead of paying Juan Soto $60 million a year."@JeffPassan joins @SNJeffBlair and Kevin Barker to discuss the sustainability of Rice's All-Star-calibre play.

LIVE ⤵️
📺 https://t.co/SqK7M993Jz pic.twitter.com/vly5xWT5Qt

— Sportsnet 590 The FAN (@FAN590) April 30, 2026

The $60 million argument

Passan continued by explaining the financial logic behind the comparison. With Rice producing at an elite level on a league-minimum contract, the $60 million the Yankees would have spent on Soto can be redirected across the roster. The result, Passan argued, is a stronger overall team.

“If you can take the $60 million and go and spread it out elsewhere, and you’re getting 90 percent of the production, and right now, even more production than you do with Soto. Ben Rice, what a find,” Passan said.

Passan then broadened his praise beyond Rice to the Yankees organization as a whole, crediting the player development system for turning a low-round pick into a franchise cornerstone.

“The Yankees player development process right now is really working, and that is a scary thing for the rest of the American League,” Passan said.

From 12th-round pick to the top of baseball

Rice’s path to this point has been anything but conventional for the Yankees. Selected 363rd overall out of Dartmouth in the 2021 draft, he spent three years grinding through the minor leagues before earning a call-up in June 2024. That debut produced a flash of power, including a three-homer game against Boston, but ended with a .171 batting average and a demotion.

Rice added roughly 10 pounds of muscle over the 2024 offseason. His 2025 campaign produced a .500 slugging percentage and showed the Yankees front office what they had. This year, the underlying metrics confirm the Yankees have a star. According to Baseball Savant, Rice sits in the 97th percentile in hard-hit percentage and carries a 95.0 mph average exit velocity.

The Yankees are 22-11 and sit atop the AL East. Rice and Aaron Judge, who has 12 home runs of his own, have combined for 23 homers through the first month. The lineup has become one of the most dangerous in the American League, and Rice is at the center of it.

Whether Rice sustains this pace for a full season remains an open question. But Passan’s point was clear. The Yankees may not have Soto. What the Yankees have in Rice, at a fraction of the cost, might be working out just fine.

Is Jeff Passan right that the Yankees are better off with Rice on a minimum salary than they would be paying Soto $60 million?

Let us know your take in the comments.

Tags: aaron booneBen RiceJeff PassanJuan SotoNew York MetsNew York YankeesYankees first basemanYankees lineupYankees newsYankees slugger
TweetShareShareSend
Previous Post

Yankees beat Orioles, but messy bullpen story fails to inspire confidence

Next Post

Anthony Volpe makes last push to avoid Yankees demotion but Boone signals opposite

Esteban Quiñones

Esteban Quiñones

Esteban Quinones is a proud graduate of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. Growing up just blocks away from Yankee Stadium in Upper Manhattan, Esteban developed a deep love for the New York Yankees, a passion that has been a constant throughout his life. Whether it's cheering for the Yankees or crafting strategic communications, Esteban brings dedication and enthusiasm to producing content around all things Yankees.

Related Posts

Anthony Volpe waits for an ABS challenge decision during the Yankees' 2-1 loss to the Blue Jays on May 20, 2026.
Anthony Volpe

Anthony Volpe’s Yankees saga is headed for full-blown drama

May 23, 2026
195
Rain postpones the Yankees-Rays game on May 23, 2026. It moves to a Sept. 22 doubleheader as New York fights a slump and a growing AL East gap.
News

Yankees vs. Rays May 23 game postponed, rescheduled to Sept. 22 double header

May 23, 2026
440
Josh Donaldson was part of the New York Yankees teams in 2022 and 2023.
News

Flopped in Bronx? Blame Yankees fans: Donaldson, ex-catcher join the trend

May 23, 2026
497
Gerrit Cole started his first Yankees game after 569 days, with six shutout innings and 98.6 mph heat, in the 4-2 loss to the Rays in New York, May 22, 2026.
Gerrit Cole

Gerrit Cole gives Yankees the ace-level sign they waited 569 days to see

May 23, 2026
164
Yankees' Jose Caballero committed an error and caught stealing bases in 4-2 loss in New York, May 22, 2026.
Jose Caballero

Jose Caballero’s bad hop sinks Yankees, ugly error sparks Rays’ shock rally

May 23, 2026
348
Gerrit Cole grinned as Jazz Chisholm dropped a pop-up in the fifth during the Yankees’ 4-2 loss to the Rays in New York, May 22, 2026.
News

Chisholm’s strange Yankees pop-up drop leaves Gerrit Cole smiling: Why

May 23, 2026
395
Next Post
Anthony Volpe’s role is unclear as he prepares to return to the Yankees.

Anthony Volpe makes last push to avoid Yankees demotion but Boone signals opposite

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
Please login to comment
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Top Stories

Join the Pinstripes Nation!

Your Daily Dose of Yankees Magic Delivered to Your Inbox.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Stay Connected

  • 99 Subscribers
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Jose Caballero starts 2026 for the Yankees as Opening Day shortstop following injury to Anthony Volpe.

Caballero defiant on shortstop job shift as Yankees plan Volpe return

May 1, 2026
The New Yor Yankees start their Spring Training camp in Tampa officially on Feb. 11, 2026.

Yankees spring training games TV guide: Where to Watch All 34 Games

February 19, 2026
Ben Rice has carried his spring training success into the regular season, continuing to hit the ball hard at an elite rate.

Ben Rice’s dugout reaction says it all as Boone benches him and bluffs

April 15, 2026
boone-chisholm-new-york-yankees

Yankees’ Boone hints at unpleasant exchanges with Jazz Chisholm

February 7, 2026

Aaron Boone faces a challenging choice between two players

68
Yankees ace Gerrit Cole is on the mound against the Mets at Citi Field on June 14, 2023.

Yankees pay the price after Aaron Boone’s costly Gerrit Cole decision in defeat to Mets

63
Aaron Judge in Yankees dugout at Truist Park, Atlanta, during the game against the Braves on August 15, 2023.

Aaron Judge points finger at teammates, Boone warns as Yankees plunge to 28-year low

60
Michael Kay and John Sterling

Trouble in the booth: John Sterling, Michael Kay reportedly in a bitter clash

46
Anthony Volpe waits for an ABS challenge decision during the Yankees' 2-1 loss to the Blue Jays on May 20, 2026.

Anthony Volpe’s Yankees saga is headed for full-blown drama

May 23, 2026
Rain postpones the Yankees-Rays game on May 23, 2026. It moves to a Sept. 22 doubleheader as New York fights a slump and a growing AL East gap.

Yankees vs. Rays May 23 game postponed, rescheduled to Sept. 22 double header

May 23, 2026
Josh Donaldson was part of the New York Yankees teams in 2022 and 2023.

Flopped in Bronx? Blame Yankees fans: Donaldson, ex-catcher join the trend

May 23, 2026
Gerrit Cole started his first Yankees game after 569 days, with six shutout innings and 98.6 mph heat, in the 4-2 loss to the Rays in New York, May 22, 2026.

Gerrit Cole gives Yankees the ace-level sign they waited 569 days to see

May 23, 2026

Recent News

Anthony Volpe waits for an ABS challenge decision during the Yankees' 2-1 loss to the Blue Jays on May 20, 2026.

Anthony Volpe’s Yankees saga is headed for full-blown drama

May 23, 2026
195
Rain postpones the Yankees-Rays game on May 23, 2026. It moves to a Sept. 22 doubleheader as New York fights a slump and a growing AL East gap.

Yankees vs. Rays May 23 game postponed, rescheduled to Sept. 22 double header

May 23, 2026
440
Josh Donaldson was part of the New York Yankees teams in 2022 and 2023.

Flopped in Bronx? Blame Yankees fans: Donaldson, ex-catcher join the trend

May 23, 2026
497
Gerrit Cole started his first Yankees game after 569 days, with six shutout innings and 98.6 mph heat, in the 4-2 loss to the Rays in New York, May 22, 2026.

Gerrit Cole gives Yankees the ace-level sign they waited 569 days to see

May 23, 2026
164

About

Pinstripesnation.com is a trusted independent New York Yankees fan site. We cover the team directly from Yankee Stadium and contributors. We can only address issues or inquiries related to Pinstripesnation.com, we are not affiliated with the New York Yankees or MLB.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

Recent News

Anthony Volpe waits for an ABS challenge decision during the Yankees' 2-1 loss to the Blue Jays on May 20, 2026.

Anthony Volpe’s Yankees saga is headed for full-blown drama

May 23, 2026
Rain postpones the Yankees-Rays game on May 23, 2026. It moves to a Sept. 22 doubleheader as New York fights a slump and a growing AL East gap.

Yankees vs. Rays May 23 game postponed, rescheduled to Sept. 22 double header

May 23, 2026
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Sitemap
  • Contact us

© 2021-2026 Pinstripes Nation

Welcome Back!

Sign In with Google
OR

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Team
    • Roster Updates
    • Prospects
    • History
  • News
    • Trades
    • Rumors
    • Off The Field
  • About
  • Contact us

© 2021-2026 Pinstripes Nation

Join the Pinstripes Nation!

Your Daily Dose of Yankees Magic Delivered to Your Inbox.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

wpDiscuz
0
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
| Reply
  • English
  • Español (Spanish)