NEW YORK — Two regulars came off the injured list Friday, but the Yankees are not whole yet. Six players remain sidelined, and the wait on the most important bats is testing a banged-up roster.
The good news arrived first. Ace Gerrit Cole returned from Tommy John surgery, and shortstop Jose Caballero came back from a fractured finger. Both rejoined the Yankees as the club opened its series with the Rays.
Those activations trimmed the list to six. Outfielder Jasson Dominguez appears closest to returning. Designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton may not be far behind, though his path keeps shifting.
Dominguez inching back from shoulder scare
Dominguez has not played since May 7. He crashed hard into the left-field wall at Yankee Stadium while chasing a catch against the Rangers. The collision left the 23-year-old with a left shoulder AC joint sprain.
The recovery has been steady but deliberate for the Yankees outfielder. He received a PRP injection on May 11 to speed the healing. He then moved from pool and weight-room work to hitting off a tee on May 20.
This week brought more progress. Dominguez took dry swings, then graduated to tee and toss drills. The Yankees expect him to start hitting in a cage within the next week.
Manager Aaron Boone laid out the rough timeline before Friday’s game. He framed the upcoming road trip as the moment Dominguez ramps up real baseball work.
Boone explained how the next stretch could unfold for the young outfielder.
“The hope is, when we go on the trip, he’ll start to get ramped up, baseball activity,” Boone said. “And then by the time we’re at the back end of the trip or home, he’s ready to play games.”
That puts a minor league rehab assignment in view for early June. Dominguez was hitting just .200 with one home run, four RBIs and a .617 OPS in nine games. The switch-hitter remains a high-upside piece the Yankees want back in the lineup.

Stanton could skip a rehab assignment
Here is the wrinkle that makes Stanton’s case unusual. The slugger may rejoin the Yankees without a single rehab game. His role as a designated hitter is the reason why.
Stanton has not appeared since April 24. He strained his right calf while running to second base after a Jazz Chisholm Jr. walk in Houston. The Yankees placed him on the injured list days later.
The calf has been slow to cooperate for the Yankees slugger. Four weeks in, Stanton still had not been cleared to run. A second MRI last week showed healing, but not enough to advance his rehab.
There is a key silver lining for the Yankees, though. The injury has not stopped Stanton from swinging the bat. He has hit daily on the Trajekt machine and kept his timing sharp.
Boone pointed to that detail when explaining the unusual plan. He stressed that a DH does not need game reps in the field the way a position player does.
Boone described why Stanton might bypass the minors entirely.
“The good thing is it hasn’t prevented him from hitting every single day,” Boone said. “He’s obviously different than the position player that you want to see get six, seven, eight innings in the field.”
Stanton is set for another exam early this week. A clean result could finally clear him to run. The 36-year-old, hitting .256 with three homers and 14 RBIs in 24 games, is targeting a June return.
He will not travel with the Yankees to Kansas City and Sacramento. Instead, he stays back to keep building toward that running test. Once he can move freely, the activation could come fast.
Schmidt and Fried headline the pitching wait

The Yankees are also tracking two arms with longer horizons. Clarke Schmidt sits at the front of that group. He underwent an internal brace procedure on his right elbow UCL last July.
Schmidt’s comeback is well underway. He began throwing off a mound on April 10 and could face hitters in June. A best-case scenario points to a September return, likely in a relief role.
Before the surgery, Schmidt was pitching well for the Yankees. He went 4-4 with a 3.32 ERA. His arm would add valuable depth down the stretch.
Max Fried’s situation carries more suspense. The left-hander exited his May 13 start in Baltimore after three innings with elbow discomfort. An MRI the next day revealed a bone bruise.
Fried sounded patient about the road ahead. He remains in a throwing shutdown for the Yankees until he is re-imaged or pain free.
Fried offered a measured take on his progress.
“I’m doing good. It’s a waiting game, but I’m feeling much better,” Fried said. “I’m not too sure yet when I can throw.”
The 4-3 lefty with a 3.21 ERA is eyed for a June or July return. Yankees reliever Angel Chivilli rounds out the list with right shoulder discomfort. His timeline stays undetermined, and he will need rehab games before any activation.
The Yankees have stayed afloat despite the pileup, sitting at 30-22. Getting Dominguez and Stanton back would steady a lineup that has leaned heavily on its survivors. The next two weeks should bring real clarity for the Yankees.
What do you think? Leave your comment below


















