NEW YORK — Giancarlo Stanton feels fine. His MRI disagrees.
That tension is what has kept the Yankees designated hitter in limbo since late April, and it showed no signs of resolving after repeat imaging last week revealed a low-grade strain still present in his right calf. The Yankees will not clear him to run until the scan comes back clean, no matter how good he feels in the cage.
Meanwhile, the Yankees are tracking two other health storylines heading into the week’s final stretch. Jose Caballero could be activated as early as Friday. And Gerrit Cole is set to make his long-awaited season debut that same night.
None of it lands cleanly. But the Yankees are navigating the injury puzzle the best they can.
Stanton’s calf refuses to cooperate

Stanton has been on the injured list since April 28 with the right calf strain. He has dealt with calf issues before, and that history is part of why the Yankees are proceeding cautiously.
He has not been idle. Stanton has been hitting in the cage every day and working off the Trajekt pitching machine. He has also been doing plyometric exercises, which he said produce explosive movement close to what running demands. But the Yankees organization will not advance him to a full running program until the imaging supports it.
Stanton put his situation plainly when asked about the timeline before Tuesday’s game against the Blue Jays.
“Calves are very interesting and history [factors in],” Stanton said. “Just got to be careful of not making it much longer than it needs to be.”
He was direct about his desire to get back on the field.
“I don’t want to be out,” Stanton said. “I want to be back as soon as possible.”
The Yankees are expected to schedule another MRI before allowing him to ramp up. Once he clears the running threshold, Stanton has suggested a return could come quickly given his hitting work. He is slashing .256/.302/.422 this season with three home runs and six doubles in limited action before the injury.
Stanton has not appeared in 115 or more games in a single season since 2021. The Yankees need him healthy, and that means not rushing the calf.
Caballero nears return as shortstop picture gets complicated

Jose Caballero took batting practice on the field Tuesday, a strong sign that the Yankees’ starting shortstop is close to coming back.
Caballero fractured his right middle finger on May 10 while diving back into first base on a pickoff attempt against the Milwaukee Brewers. He came off the bench to pinch-run the following night, then was placed on the 10-day IL on May 12. He becomes eligible to return Friday.
Manager Aaron Boone told the Talkin’ Yanks podcast that Caballero played catch the day before Tuesday’s game and that activation Friday is the target. Boone has been clear about what happens when Caballero returns: he gets the starting shortstop job back.
That creates a decision point for the Yankees. Anthony Volpe has held the position during Caballero’s absence and played well. In five games since being recalled, Volpe is hitting .308 with a 1.012 OPS, three RBI, and seven walks. He had been optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on May 4 after returning from offseason shoulder surgery, only to come back when Caballero went down.
Boone was asked directly whether Volpe could stay on the roster in a utility role once Caballero returns.
“We’ll see,” Boone said.
Caballero had earned the Yankees’ starting job by hitting .259 with a .720 OPS, four home runs, 13 RBI, and 13 stolen bases in 41 games before the injury. The Yankees also have infielder Max Schuemann on the roster, who holds minor league options, giving the club flexibility.
Cole’s return adds to Friday’s significance

The same Friday that may bring Caballero back will also mark the Yankees‘ biggest pitching development of the season.
Gerrit Cole is set to start against the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium. It will be his first appearance for the Yankees since Game 5 of the 2024 World Series, a defeat that ended that season. He underwent Tommy John surgery on March 11, 2025, and has been working his way back for over a year.
Cole completed six rehab starts, finishing Saturday with a strong outing for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre: one run allowed, six strikeouts, and a fastball that touched 99.6 mph across 5.1 innings. Boone decided Cole had checked the remaining boxes.
Boone addressed the expectations that come with Cole’s return to the Yankees rotation.
“He has done everything he needs [to do] to be ready to compete now at this level,” Boone said. “My expectation is that he’s going to be really good. Will there be some bumps along the way or navigating getting back into that full level of competition at this level, sure, but that’s part of it too. But at the end of the day, I expect him to come in and pitch well for us.”
Cole spoke about what it means to finally be back on a Yankees mound.
“It’s just a blessing to play the game and you get a better sense of that once you’re removed from it,” Cole said. “I’m just prepared as possible to do the best I can, whatever challenges come our way on Friday.”
The Rays are not a soft landing spot. Tampa Bay leads the AL East by three games over the Yankees and owns the best record in the American League. Friday will be the first meeting between the two clubs this season.
The Yankees enter the weekend at 30-19 and will send their returning ace into one of the biggest starts of the young season.
What do you think?
















